Sunday, September 29, 2013

Mega 2013 - done, sort of



I made it to the finish line in Saturday, but only because my friends Jim and Nicole told me how to cut the route short.  Even so, this was the most difficult physical challenge I have ever experienced.

There are time cut offs at several points. If you don't make it you get swept off the trail. I was ok at the first cutoff, but was the last person allowed to complete the first bolder hill at 7 miles. When I got to the 10 mile aid station (really at mile 11 according to everyone's garmin), I had 1 hour 40 mins to make the 4 mile hike to the next cutoff. That is also the mile 17 aid station (more like 18-19 from garmin). The runners all told me it took them about 3 hours to get there and back, running the whole way. So I knew that I might barely make 14 mile cut off, but would miss the 22 mile cut off. 

So I decided skip the loop and head back in. I was so thankful that I did that because even if I made the time, which I wouldn't have, I would not have had the energy to get up the second bolder field. It would have been a disaster. So I completed 20.83 miles of the 28 miles in 10:45 out of the 12 hours allowed. 

I guess I have to try again next year. Jenny only made it 5 miles before falling on a rock and getting a serious contusion on her patella. Her knee should be fine in a couple of weeks. She also broke a finger. It was very disappointing because she was really ready. She wants to try again. Jim and Nicole didn't take the short cut this year. They were about 30 mins to an hour ahead of me. But they got swept at mile 22. They missed the mark by about an hour. I was so thankful that they went on without me. I would have felt so guilty for them not completing the course.  They did the same route with the same time as me last year. So it was actually a big improvement for them from last year. They did a lot of tough hill work in training. I am one year behind them, so I have my work cut out for me.

I would really like to successfully finish this race. But I will really have to work at it. Going to Equinox on Wednesday to talk to a trainer. I also already have a new training route mapped out in my head for at home. Straight up the hill at the top of lake instead of the switchbacks to Echo Mountain (yes the one that made me throw up last time I tried it). Then up the fire road to go down the lower Sam Merrill trail. Then up Castle Canyon to Inspiration point and down upper Sam Merrill trail. Then down Echo Mountain. I am going to have to keep trying this until i can do it in under 10 hours. As soon as my foot heals up (more ugly blisters) i am going to get a time baseline for this hike. 

Anyone interested? 

No comments:

Post a Comment